dtSearch Desktop is a powerful and robust information retrieval tool, it enables you to search through terabytes of text in under a second because it builds an index that stores the location of the words in your files.
dtSearch Desktop can search all Microsoft Office formats and the latest PDF 2.0 format, as well as many legacy file formats, and never alters or moves your original files. See here for the full list Article: DTS0103
You can choose to index drives (including removable media), folders, files, Outlook folders or use the built-in Spider to index Web sites.
Uniquely dtSearch Desktop can perform un-indexed as well as "combination" searches to search files that have not been indexed.
dtSearch Desktop has dozens of advanced indexing options to give you complete control over the content of each index. It will automatically collect Meta data from HTML, Word and PDF documents as well as from media files such as MP3, ASF and WMV to allow field searching. Indexes can be automatically updated by using the Windows Task Scheduler to reflect additions, deletions and modifications to your document collection. Each index holds over 1TB of data, create multiple indexes for focused search results.
dtSearch has over 25 indexed and unindexed text search options. Unlike most other search tools, searching is not 'blind' - the word-wheel shows all the words in your documents, simply double-click on a word to enter it into the search query textbox.
Add-on products from dtSearch UK can extend the capabilities even further:
- Database Indexer add-on provides indexing of SQL/mySQL databases, local or in the cloud (Azure/AWS).
- User Thesaurus Plus provides ability to have choice of multiple User synonym files, for specific purposes. See the free T207 training article for examples of searching using three (genealogy, cross-lingual, political) of over 30 sample synonym and macro files that are included.
- Stemming Language Selector provides stemming in dozens of languages other than English and is essential to obtain the high recall demanded by professionals in the legal, law enforcement and intelligence sectors for searching non-English data.
- 365 Indexer add-on provides indexing of Microsoft 365 - SharePoint Online and OneNote.
NOTE: dtSearch Desktop and dtSearch Network are identical software, only the licensing differs, both products can search over a network. dtSearch Network has a 5-user minimum license and all users share the same serial number. See the End User License Agreement (EULA) for details.
Alternative products for 'low cost per user' search on large networks
- dtSearch Web - provides a browser based simple search experience over any network using Microsoft IIS on the server. Ideal for museums, websites, local government, courts, etc. for public or staff search of reports, brochures, data sheets, etc.
- Universal Search System (beta) - provides desktop search only clients with advanced search options (e.g. facets, word-wheel, multi-lingual stemming), server based PDF hit-highlighting, Active Directory controlled access to multiple-endpoints, etc. Contact us if you want to take part in beta testing or want to be kept updated on this product.